Saturday, May 16, 2009

Zoo Adventures

Sooo, I have a lot to catch up on.
I've made quite a few trips up to the Oregon Zoo in the last few months. I went up for a lecture on African Lions, a lecture on African Painted dogs, a lecture on Spotted Hyenas, I took my nephews on a tour of the areas I used to work:

Where we were almost attacked by the Babyimus nephewinicus:


then I went back up with a bunch of our vet students from the Caribbean. That was pretty awesome. We got to spend the whole day with Dr. Mitch who is an awesome vet, I think. We spent the whole first half of the day wrestling 12 African Pygmy Goats. We had to do their full physical exams which includes ear exam, eye exam, body size evaluation, teeth/gum exam, hoof trimming, 3 vaccs, and listen to their heart, lungs, and rumination. The goats weren't too thrilled about this so they were struggling and screaming their guts out pretty much the whole time. Unfortunately I did not get any pics of this very entertaining episode. Maybe Andrew did, I'll have to check. Then we moved on to the cat building and then the elephant barn to do an elephant foot x-ray. We got to see Chendra training for the elephant olympics:

Then we spent some time out on the back porch watching little Sam get frisky with the locks on the gates...so freaking A cute!

I want to smooch his little trunk right off!
All in all, it was a really fun day. I miss you Oregon Zoo!

No comments: